If you love s’mores and you love easy desserts then this one is for you! Rice cereal and crushed graham crackers are combined with melty marshmallows and toasty brown butter, plus extra chunks of whole marshmallows and a generous drizzle of milk chocolate all over the top. These S’mores Rice Krispie Treats aren’t your average rice krispies and they are sure to be a crowd-pleasing summer treat.
Brown Butter is simple to make and adds another layer of flavor to your recipe, sweet or savory. I love incorporating it into sweets because it adds a deep toasty, slightly nutty flavor in the background that is unlike anything else. It’s made by simply melting butter and then continuing to cook it over low heat until it turns a deep golden color. The milk solids in the butter get toasted from the heat while the butter takes on a dark golden color.
If you love brown butter like me, then be sure to check out some of my other brown butter recipes like my Brown Butter Toffee Skillet Cookie, Brown Butter Brioche Cinnamon Rolls, or another delicious mashup of s’mores and brown butter, my S’mores Blondies!
Tips for Making Brown Butter
- Don’t walk away. Butter goes from perfectly browned and toasty to burnt very quickly so the most important thing to remember is not to step away from the pot while it’s on the stove. It also helps to continually stir the butter once it gets foamy and starts to take on color to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Look for the brown bits. The brown bits that form on the bottom of the pan are exactly what you want! You’ll know it’s done once you see those and the butter has a nutty aroma. Those brown bits are the milk solids from the butter getting toasty. The butter should also turn a deep golden color.
- Remove from heat immediately. Once you’ve got the butter perfectly browned, remove it from the heat right away to stop it from cooking and browning any further. If you’re using a cast iron pot, keep in mind that these hold heat really well and the butter will continue cooking so get it off the heat as soon as you see that it’s done.
How to Make S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
- Brown the butter. Add the butter to a large pot and melt it down. Continue cooking while constantly stirring to brown the butter. You’ll know the butter is done when it has turned a dark golden color, brown flecks form on the bottom, and the butter has a nutty aroma. Remove from heat once the butter is browned.
- Melt the marshmallows. Remove the butter from the heat as soon as it’s done so it doesn’t continue browning. Then add 16 ounces of marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in the vanilla and salt. In a large bowl, combine rice cereal and crushed graham crackers.
- Combine the cereal + marshmallows. Add the melted marshmallow mixture to the cereal mixture and combine until all the dry pieces are fully coated. Stir in more mini marshmallows – these shouldn’t melt so you will have whole chunks of marshmallow throughout the krispie treats.
- Press into pan. Press the krispie mixture into a lightly greased 9” x 9” square baking pan. Use a rubber spatula or a piece of parchment to press down, creating a nice even top.
- Finish with chocolate. Melt some milk chocolate and use a spoon or piping bag to drizzle the chocolate all over the top of the krispie treats. Sprinkle on more crushed graham crackers and mini marshmallows. Allow to cool until set then cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
Krispie Treat FAQs
How should I store rice krispie treats?
These should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to make the treats soft and gooey again.
Do these freeze well?
Yes! Krispie treats freeze great and these S’mores Rice Krispie Treats are no exception. I like to wrap each square individually in plastic wrap and then store the wrapped squares in a zip-top plastic bag in the freezer for up 3 months.
What if my marshmallows don’t melt?
If you’ve added the marshmallows to the brown butter and the heat from the butter does not fully melt them, put the pot back on the stove over low heat, stirring constantly. Only leave on the heat until the marshmallows start to melt, then pull off the heat and continue stirring. The residual heat will melt the marshmallows, but you don’t want to overheat them or they will become gummy.
More Easy Summer Treats You’ll Love
- Reese’s Pieces Rice Krispie Treats
- Chewy Coconut Macaroons
- Mini Oreo Cheesecakes
- Mixed Berry Streusel Bars
- Lemon Mascarpone Tart
If you make this recipe and love it, be sure to leave a comment below. Happy baking!
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups (160g) rice cereal
- 1 package 8 whole graham crackers, crushed into small pieces
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter
- 20 oz mini marshmallows, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (4 oz) milk chocolate
- Lightly grease a 9” x 9” square baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the rice cereal and crushed graham crackers.
- In a large pot, add the butter and melt over medium-low heat. Stirring constantly, brown the butter until it becomes foamy and a deep golden brown color. You’ll know it’s done when you see darker brown bits on the bottom and the butter has a nutty aroma.
- As soon as the butter is browned, turn off the heat and add 16 ounces of marshmallows to the pot, reserving the remaining 4 ounces. Stir until the marshmallows have completely melted. Add the vanilla and salt and mix until combined.
- Add the marshmallow mixture to the cereal mixture and mix until the cereal is completely coated with marshmallow. Add in the 4 ounces of remaining marshmallows. Stir until they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Spread it out evenly and press down, using a greased rubber spatula or a piece of parchment paper.
- Heat the milk chocolate in the microwave for 20-second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Use a spoon or piping bag to drizzle the chocolate all over the top of the krispie treats. Sprinkle with more crushed graham crackers and mini marshmallows, if desired. Allow the chocolate the harden and the treats to set up before cutting, for at least 30 minutes.
- Once set up, remove from the pan, cut the krispie treats into 16 equal squares, and enjoy!
- Storing: These should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to make the treats soft and gooey again.
- Freezing: Wrap each square individually in plastic wrap then store the wrapped squares in a zip-top plastic bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.